Thursday, May 10, 2012

On Stage 18 - Wrecking your own sound

A continuing series of insights from the stage at the local club level...


18.  On more than one occasion, I've rolled my eyes at a band and thought “Come on, guys, just mic the kick drum.” Plenty of good groups, with good drummers, have made their sets completely unlistenable by the awful click click click of the triggered kick in the PA. It's usually the loudest part of the mix, too, and actually sounds nothing like an actual bass drum; usually, “triggered kick” means that the rhythm of the kick drum will now be reproduced by a sample of a tin can being thrown against a concrete wall.


  
Even limited to my experiences, this list is nowhere near complete.  I planted it as one of the first pages when I began this blog with the very first handful of points from the quickest surface skim of my gray matter.  It will continue to grow.

Comments