Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Day 12

Day 12 - day off #3.

Well, we decided to make use of the tents: we trekked out to Silver Falls, just east of Salem, which means we're an hour outside of Portland... which means we drove from Sacramento to Salem today.

That's pretty much the whole day.

We left around 3:00, swung by the Java Lounge to say goodbye, and charged north.

The Speedy J truck stop is probably the most kickass gas station I've ever visited. I'll stop at those whenever I can, from now on. We found one just before Redding (no one wants to go back to Redding), got a little gas, hit the deli, bought a slushie... they have showers there, too. Nice place.

I should have filled the tank, but Oregon gas is cheaper than California gas, so I held back. The van doesn't have a working fuel gauge, but we've been careful. Up until today.

We did run out of gas a little north of Medford, but it was a nice enough night for a walk, and Bruno probably needed the rest. Joel, Tyler, and I made the trek... but I'm not sure why people honk at people hiking the highway with a gas can. We don't want to be there, really, but will the honking horn snap us out of our freeway walking daze and send us scattering into the bushes? The trucks don't honk-- I assume they know why we're walking the freeway.

Somewhere around Grants Pass, I mentioned that this wasn't a very good day off... but that was around 2:00AM, and Michelle asked if I was doing okay. I was fine, and she'd asked "because you sound like you're one step away from batshit crazy." I'm still laughing about that.

I'm a devoted night driver... but I do get kind of loopy when I'm doing it long-term.

We pulled in around 4:00AM, and I'm spent.

Comments