Friday, November 4, 2011

On Stage #9 - Road-tested

A continuing series of insights from the stage at the local club level...


9. Some folks will tell you not to play a song on stage until it's perfect... not me.  As far as I can tell, you can practice a song for months and it's always going to be unfired clay.  Until it's in your setlist, until you've fucked it up in front of people a couple times, until you figure out how it works (or doesn't) at a show, until you've fired it in the kiln of the public for a while, the song isn't actually done.  You have to take it out of rehearsals eventually.


  
Even limited to my experiences, this list is nowhere near complete.  I planted it as one of the first pages when I began this blog with the very first handful of points from the quickest surface skim of my gray matter.  It will continue to grow.

Comments