Monday, August 27, 2012

On Stage 23 - Spin

A continuing series of insights from the stage at the local club level...


23. People trying to get you to play their show will sell the gig in the most positive light possible. No one should put too much faith in proposed event attendance-- everyone from bands to realtors to tupperware parties ought to know that roughly 1/3 of the people who'll say they'll come actually show up. It's important to remember this when someone offers your band a show that will be packed, sell out, and earn you many hundreds of dollars at the door; the discrepancy between the crowd described to you and the actual show you play can be stunning. Bands with guarantees don't worry about this, but for everyone else: I'm not saying you shouldn't play the show, I just want everyone to keep their expectations realistic.


  
Even limited to my experiences, this list is nowhere near complete.  I planted it as one of the first pages when I began this blog with the very first handful of points from the quickest surface skim of my gray matter.  It will continue to grow.

Comments