Friday, September 28, 2012

...and we finally made it to Spokane

Thursday, September 20th
The Hop in Spokane, WA
w/ Nasalrod, Mercy Brown, Dysfunktynal Kaos, Boneye, & Abode for the Dead

‭“‬Hey,‭ ‬look at those cows‭! ‬They're outstanding in their field.‭”

And,‭ ‬hey--‭ ‬We're actually making it to Spokane this time.‭ ‬We stopped in Ellensburg for old time's sake...‭ ‬and Mexican food...‭ ‬and gas...‭ ‬but it's nice to be charging east and full of hope.

It was a long haul,‭ ‬about five hours,‭ ‬and we left early.‭ ‬Joel started to get road hypnosis by the end.‭ ‬Michelle was tuned out for a lot of it,‭ ‬dancing in her headphones.‭ ‬Literally.

She popped them off to see what Tyler,‭ ‬Joel,‭ ‬and I were head-bobbing to.‭ "‬I looked up any you were all grooving,‭ ‬so I had to see if what you were listening to was better than what I was listening to.‭" ‬It was Joel's mp3s on random--‭ ‬we were all head bobbing to Gojira.

Actually,‭ "‬random‭" ‬for Joel's player means‭ "‬a lot of Dead Milkmen and Burning of I.‭" ‬Which is all pretty fantastic driving music.‭ ‬Even in our van's tinny speakers,‭ ‬those Burning of I songs are stand-outs...‭ ‬they were my first write-up,‭ ‬and like most freshman efforts,‭ ‬I look back on that piece and think they deserve a better review.‭ ‬They should be heard--‭ ‬get their records.‭ ‬And hey,‭ ‬we're playing with them at The Kraken in October.

But I digress...

While we didn't actually get there last time,‭ ‬Ellesnburg definitely wasn't this hot last time out.‭ ‬Spokane was really,‭ ‬really sweaty.‭ ‬We got to the venue before the doors unlocked and found a pub around the corner with WiFi,‭ ‬air conditioning,‭ ‬and‭ ‬$2‭ ‬Blue Moons.

The venue itself has a huge back room for gear and merch,‭ ‬removed from the show space,‭ ‬with a bar upstairs,‭ ‬and the flashiest drink tickets I've ever seen.‭ ‬I didn't get much use out of that--‭ ‬I did my turn as designated driver...‭ ‬largely because my body was rejecting beer.‭ ‬Dunno why.

The Spokane crowd was really nice--‭ ‬Spokaners,‭ ‬as far as I can tell,‭ ‬are really nice in general--‭ ‬and I was handed a parking lot Pabst tallboy while we were loading in.‭ ‬The end of that beer was like swallowing sand...‭ ‬I drank water through most of the night.

We initially balked at the pay lot behind The Hop...‭ ‬until we saw the price.‭ ‬Paid parking lots are expensive in Seattle.‭ ‬The lot we were in,‭ ‬noon,‭ ‬evening,‭ ‬and night,‭ ‬was‭ ‬$1.‭ ‬I think we can handle that.

ubik.‭ ‬and Nasalrod were absolutely the weirdest bands of the night,‭ ‬and different kinds of weird,‭ ‬so one of us couldn't inoculate the crowd for the other.‭ ‬There was a lot of metal metal metal on tap from the Spokane bands,‭ ‬and we were in the middle of the whole thing.

Nasalrod at The Hop
We were both pretty well received,‭ ‬which is good.‭ ‬ubik.s got some metal breaks,‭ ‬not enough to fool anyone into thinking we're a metal band,‭ ‬but our variety from soft to hard,‭ ‬quiet to loud,‭ ‬spacey to solid,‭ ‬includes enough moshability to keep the pit engaged.‭ ‬Nasalrod is techy and odd enough to always draw the attention of the mathier metalheads,‭ ‬they have some slamming breakdowns,‭ ‬and Tim is such a tight,‭ ‬articulate,‭ ‬complicated drummer...‭ ‬it's the rare percussionist that sees that guy on stage without being impressed.

And we met Bono.‭ ‬He covered Alice in Chains.‭ ‬It's rare to see a club empty out so quickly.

While that was happening,‭ ‬we discovered the‭ "‬backstage‭" ‬area--‭ ‬the kitchen is right by the stage at the Hop,‭ ‬so I didn't round that corner until I saw Joel,‭ ‬Tyler,‭ ‬Tim,‭ ‬Kat,‭ ‬and Justin head over there.‭ ‬There are stairs down into the basement with a‭ "‬staff and performers only‭" ‬sign above it.

Hey--‭ ‬I'm a performer‭!

and the next door says‭ "‬Employees only,‭" ‬and,‭ ‬since the club was going to pay us,‭ ‬I considered myself qualified.

Well,‭ ‬that,‭ ‬and half my band was already in there.

Pretty keen little place,‭ ‬all told.‭ ‬I liked The Hop quite a bit--‭ ‬they mic everything,‭ ‬which is not my personal preference,‭ ‬but Nasalrod‭ (‬who's seen us often enough to know‭) ‬says we sounded good,‭ ‬and they sounded great as well.‭ ‬The sound guy definitely knew what he was doing.

The show ended at midnight,‭ ‬so we hit Spokane and found some places to be...‭ ‬which included‭ (‬and I wish I had a picture of this‭) ‬Justin surfing on top of the Nasalrod van holding on to Michelle sitting outside their passenger window‭ (‬she was his seatbelt‭)‬.‭

At bar time.‭

In the middle of downtown.

I,‭ ‬being the devil-may-care rocker that I am,‭ ‬was just waiting for tour to stop dead as Nasalrod and ubik.‭ ‬each had to bail a member out of jail.‭ ‬I am old and stodgy. Of course, that's just me being neurotic. Nothing bad happened to anyone.

Comments