Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 10

Saturday, April 21
Petaluma and Oakland

We actually went to Petaluma first, because Michelle wanted to visit Chris (from Only Human). He's got a really nice place, lots of instruments... he works for EMG now, and he makes guitars for Devin Townsend and Ani DiFranco-- definitely doing well for himself.  And he has a really fluffy cat.

We walked through town, maybe 10 degrees cooler than Sacramento, and found a pretty cool tap house. I spent way too much on far too little beer; they had a sour ale on tap, and right now, sour ales are my boom. I'm normally a Hoegaarden guy, and I love my Belgian and German whites, but sour ales are hard to come by and I order them when I can find them.

We returned to Chris' house and played for a while. He has some electric drums, a few guitars, a flatwound fretless 5-string, Lots of cool stuff... but I went to the van to get my ubik.tenor. We closed out jamming with Chris on the 5-string and me going through his Axe effects with a longish echo, doing one of my minor scale echo patterns. It's kind of a low key, sad-sounding bit, and we left a little mopily. Sorry about that, guys.

Rolling into Oakland, we thought we had a spot to crash, but when we got there, everything had dried up. Through a few connections, Michelle got us a place with strangers: Timm from Embers and Greg from Fukm have a place just a few blocks from where we'll be playing.

It is one thing to stay with friends; it is another entirely to crash a stranger's house. These guys were extremely gracious and helpful. They're road veterans, they know what it's like to need a place to stay, and they very generously helped us out.

I should have picked Greg's brain more... I get the feeling that guy has played with everyone. Murder Junkies and Verbal Abuse came up when we were just talking, but I'm positive he's got some stories.

Comments