Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day 14

Wednesday, April 25
Epilogue

We got up really late. I actually got up around 10:00, and, for having partied with Lickity and Aranya people until at least 4:00AM, I felt pretty good (no hangovery type symptoms that can often follow the last show of a tour), but no one else was up. So I laid back down.

We re-started at two in the afternoon. ubik. bought us lunch at Slim's, which is actually a venue we've played before, but most of us are too poor to buy ourselves a road meal. The band's money is separate from our own personal money, but there are no more long drives, and only one tank of gas left to buy. The band can pick up lunch.

We had to scramble to cover a couple things this tour, and the whole thing turned out expensive. We're all holding our breath until our next paychecks after this one. We played a lot of good shows, met a lot of good people, visited plenty of old friends, and had a good time... but the rough patches at the beginning ate up a lot of our traveling money.

I've often said I could just stay on the road-- I really like traveling, my on-stage job is better than my day job, and my apartment is fairly spartan: I own very little furniture, my walls aren't decorated... "home" is the place I go when I'm not doing anything else.  The idea of staying on the road works when the band makes enough money to keep itself there-- the looming needs for dentists (half the band has been dabbing their gums with clove oil this tour), doctors, and mechanics highlight the instability of this system.  Not saying it can't work... just that I don't know how to make it work smoothly just yet. 

Next time, we're doing more prep-work. On the van, on us, on everything. And there will be a next time, oh yes: we plan on going out again next year. Our last tour was in 2009... we're not waiting three years to go out again. ubik. needs to get back to the places we've visited while they're still talking about us. Next spring, we go back... probably cast the net a little wider, cultivate the growing.

Comments