Monday, April 23, 2012

Day 12

Monday, April 23
Sacramento to Portland

There really wasn't much for me to do today-- There are three possible van pilots in the vehicle, and I reserved the morning as "not it!" I sat in the back and did some work (we may be on the road, but there are still project deadlines to meet.) When I finished up, Michelle was long hauling the Cali-Oregon track, so I just stayed in the back, not staring at the perpetual dotted yellow line. Sometimes, sitting shotgun has the same road-hypnosis exhaustion as actually driving.

So, I finished my work, watched the third episode of Legend of Korra (what? we're not savages,) and just kind of nodded off in the back seat. There really wasn't anything else for me: I put on headphones and faded in and out of consciousness.

There was a rest stop where tweakers asked us for "gas money," the pot-bellied dude with the unbuttoned shirt never blinked; his haggard, chatty lady talked through grinding teeth. I gave them the change in my pocket, but I'm not well-funded enough to put in for their, um "gas."

The rest of the trip was Joel driving and Tyler running the music; we got a new tape adapter, so Tyler was running Gojira and Kylesa (and Primus and NIN) off his Sansa. Michelle slept in the back and I kept my headphones on. Still very little for me to contribute.

We opted out of our contact list for the Jupiter Hotel; we rolled into Portland after midnight, so there was a cut rate (so I'm told. I don't have the money for hotels, and left to my own devices, would sleep most nights in the van.) Joel and Tyler went to the bar. There is still some cash in my wallet, but I'm saving it for tomorrow. Tonight, I upload my work on hotel wifi and just sleep.

The Jupiter is pretty fancy by my standards. I think the hotel bar is a night spot for the neighborhood, so there seems to be a party raging down there. The rooms are nice, the bathroom is stocked with vegan toiletries, and there are two bottles of wine under the TV.

Tyler has decorated the chalkboard-door.

Comments